05:The Business of Search
In early February 2016 Google announced that it was planning to discontinue the supply of its GSA search appliance. Many search vendors and consultants have commented on this development
See also a post on some of the challenges of migration
The search industry is tracked and analyzed by Stephen Arnold on his blog Beyond Search (http://arnoldit.com/wordpress/).
The Gartner Magic Quadrant report (http://www.gartner.com/technology/research/methodologies/research_mq.jsp) on Enterprise Search does not have a defined publicationdate each year. The report can be purchased from Gartner, but is often re-published by companies featured in the report.
In the past, Forrester, Ovum, and the Real Story Group published reports on the enterprise search business, but these have been discontinued.
Steve Silberman, “The Quest for Meaning: The Story of Autonomy,” Wired, 1 February 2000.
Page updated 8 March 2016
- 00 – Chapter Resources
- 01: Searching, Finding, Deciding
- 02: Benefits and challenges
- 03: Search technology
- 04: Query and results management
- 05: The business of search
- 06: Open source search
- 07: SharePoint search
- 08: Search governance
- 09: Making a business case
- 10: Defining user requirements
- 11: Searching for people and expertise
- 12: Search user interface design
- 13: Specification and selection
- 14: Installation and implementation
- 15: Search evaluation
- 16: Website search
- 17: E-Discovery
- 18: Text and content analytics
- 19: The next five years